Monday 22 September 2014

Bread that's not poisonous! woohoo.


So let's talk about bread. 

When I first started losing weight I was all about the multigrain, low GI bread life. And all was well: I had boiled egg and toast for breakfast and toast with soup every night...complex carbohydrates were my best friend and the weight was falling off (as it should when toast is the heaviest calorie load of your day). But then my metabolism got smart with me and slowed down to a near halt, and the saying "I look at carbohydrates and gain weight" might as well have tattooed its self across my forehead.  The more I learned about my body, PCOS, Paleo and so on, the more I realised that grains and I were never ever getting back together. I went full blown cold turkey.




Then I introduced a piece of toast to my Cheat Sunday mornings and the game changed. Like a drug addict I'd had a taste of the goods and I knew I was in trouble. I'm not quite sure why I hadn't thought of this before, but I began to scour the net for paleo bread recipes, obsessively checking ingredient lists against my will and will not eats and eventually I concocted this beauty of a recipe. Behold, my version of Pread. 

Although not strictly Paleo or LCHF, this glorious loaf is something I didn't think I'd ever be able to achieve: grain and gluten free, light, tasty bread that toasts like a dream and is perfectly paired with a smear of butter. It does contain gluten free protein powder which is not Paleo or 100% clean (it contains soy) but hey, you can't be perfect all the time! 

I make a loaf, cut it once it's cooled down and then stick it in the freezer so it lasts longer and toasts perfectly from frozen. You can also add 'extras' such as chia seeds, other seeds, raisins (also not Paleo or clean I knooowww), or cinnamon and stevia for a sweet loaf… be creative and let me know if you think upon a new flavour combo!

Ingredients
(I generally make half this recipe as I like a flatter loaf for snacking rather than a normal sized slice of bread)
  • 1 cup almond meal/flour
  • 3/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot
  • 6 tbsp pysllium husks
  • 4 scoops protein powder
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice ( I use an almond/coconut mix)
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted and COOLED 
  • 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 180 C and line and grease a bread tin
  2. Beat the eggs until they're 'foamy' and add milk, vinegar  and cooled melted butter. 
  3. Combine the dry ingredients well in a separate bowl. 
  4. Create a little well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour the wet ingredients in. 
  5. Mix together to make a batter- it will be a lot more like a cake/brownie batter than a bread dough but thats how it's meant to be so don't worry!
  6. Bake in the over for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Don't over cook or it will be dry. 


  7. Let it cool, slice and enjoy with butter, clean nutella or almond butter. YUMMMM.



No comments:

Post a Comment